Best of the Best 2016: Wheels | Convertibles: Rolls-Royce Dawn
Best of the Best 2016 Winner!
Rolls-Royce bills the Dawn as the sexiest car it has ever built, and if by “sexiest” it means most appealing, it may be correct. Inspired by the postwar Silver Dawn convertible, the car is more glamorous and more contemporary looking than other Rolls-Royce models. Indeed, four-fifths of the body panels are unique to the Dawn. Though it is smaller than the Phantom, it still accommodates four adults in complete comfort—and total luxury. The cabin is silent with the top raised and sufficiently quiet with the top down to allow an unstrained four-way conversation.
- The 6.6-liter, twin-turbocharged V-12 engine develops 563 hp and 575 ft lbs of torque at just 1,500 rpm.
- The six-layer fabric roof drops silently in just 20 seconds and when the car is traveling at speeds as fast as 30 mph.
- The doors hinge at the rear and open toward the front, allowing unfettered entry and exit, especially for rear-seat passengers.
- Rolls-Royce’s optional Bespoke Audio system incorporates16 speakers and a microphone that monitors ambient exterior noise and automatically adjusts the system’s volume and tone settings accordingly.
- The Dawn’s satellite-aided 8-speed ZF transmission uses GPS data to select the ideal gear ratio for upcoming twists, turns, and traffic conditions in the road.
Rolls-Royce Motor Cars, rolls-roycemotorcars.com (starting at $339,850)