Best of the Best 2016: Wheels | Sports Cars: Audi R8 V10 Plus
A past winner of our Car of the Year and Best of the Best awards, the R8 has been a Robb Report favorite since its debut a decade ago. Audi incrementally improved the car over the years before introducing a completely new, second-generation model for 2017. It features a more chiseled and aggressive-looking shape, sharper performance, greater refinement, and futuristic electronics. The V10 Plus variant’s extra 70 hp nearly puts it in the supercar league, but it doesn’t have the high-strung personality of those vehicles. They may excel at extremes, but some can become tedious as the miles wear on. The R8 V10 Plus, on the other hand, is a joy to drive everywhere.
- With a zero-to-60-mph time of 3.2 seconds and a top speed of 205 mph, the R8 V10 Plus is the quickest-accelerating and fastest road car that Audi has ever produced.
- The 5.2-liter, normally aspirated engine delivers 610 hp and an ample 413 ft lbs of torque.
- The 7-speed S-tronic transmission seems almost telepathic, and it is as seamless and smooth as the steering is sharp and instantaneous.
- The R8 V10 Plus is equipped with Audi’s Quattro all-wheel drive, so it handles well when the weather—or the driver—makes a mess of things.
- The car’s new carbon-composite-and-aluminum chassis is 40 percent more rigid than the previous version.
Audi, audiusa.com (starting at $189,900)