Best of the Best 2016: Wheels | Sports Cars: Porsche Cayman GT4
Give people their pick of the top sports cars, including ones costing well over $150,000, and a surprising number will choose the new Porsche Cayman GT4. It seems to be the most practical choice, and it still has the signature attributes of a Porsche sports car. The horizontally opposed 3.8-liter, 6-cylinder engine delivers an instantaneous response at any rpm, and the tachometer needle rises and falls like a conductor’s baton. The 6-speed manual gearbox matches up with chronometric perfection, and the super-quick, variable-rate power steering gives you a direct connection to the road or the track. These qualities are combined with a handsome, well-crafted interior.
- The mid-mounted 3.8-liter, 385 hp boxer engine was adopted from the 911 Carrera S.
- The car can accelerate from zero to 60 mph in 4.2 seconds and reach a top speed of 183 mph.
- The Cayman GT4 has the same brakes and front suspension as the 911 GT3.
- The adjustable front diffuser and carbon-fiber-reinforced rear wing give the GT4 more downforce than other Cayman models.
- Options include the carbon-fiber-reinforced bucket seats from the 918 Spyder.
Porsche, porsche.com (starting at $85,650)