San Francisco, California – Since 2011, San Francisco Wine School has been helping people of all levels break into the wine industry, advance their career or simply pursue their passion. With the opening of its new space San Francisco Wine School is now the largest wine school in the U.S. After months of careful planning and renovations, the 4,000 sq ft, top floor Wine Education Center at 415 Grand Avenue in downtown South San Francisco is now ready for the public. San Francisco Wine School will host its ever-expanding lineup of wine-related credentials, certifications, workshops, intensives, and special events. The space will also be available for a variety of other uses, including corporate off-site meetings and events, wine tastings for trade and consumers, private parties, and industry seminars, panels and demos.
“We spent the last four years verifying the market need, developing in-class and online curriculum and building a name for ourselves in the industry,” said David Glancy, San Francisco Wine School founder. “Our own, landmark location is a dream come true and will allow us to help even more students follow their passions.”
ANCHORING SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO’S NEW COMMERCE BOOM
With South San Francisco’s convenient location near San Francisco International airport and only miles from the center of San Francisco, it has long been a home to a wide variety of industries and has a seen rapid increase in the biotechnology sector in recent years. San Francisco Wine School joins an influx of new businesses to the city and will serve as an anchor for the developing, walkable downtown center. Several new housing and hotel developments, renovation to the Caltrain station, and municipal interest in fostering this commercial infusion will only continue this progress for South San Francisco in the coming years.
“We’re thrilled the San Francisco Wine School has joined our diverse business community,” said South San Francisco Mayor Richard Garbarino. “The School gives members of the community access to world-class wine education to pursue their interests or help them start or advance their careers, leading to more patronage and investment in our own local businesses.”
Grand Opening Events Scheduled November 6 to 12
San Francisco Wine School has planned an exciting agenda of Grand Opening public events in early November to celebrate its beautiful new facility.
Schedule of Grand Opening Events
Attendees for all events must be 21 or older
RSVP for Guaranteed Admittance
- Friday, Nov 6th – Ribbon Cutting 12:30pm: Since 2011, San Francisco Wine School has been helping people of all levels break into the wine industry, advance their career or simply pursue their passion. With the opening of our new space we are now the largest wine school in the U.S. This gorgeous new 4,000 sq ft Wine Education Center is also perfect for corporate meetings, team buildings, private parties, and trade events. Join us for the official Ribbon Cutting Ceremony and inaugural Champagne Sabering for San Francisco Wine School’s new home at 415 Grand Ave in downtown South San Francisco.
- Friday, Nov 6th – Private Screening of SOMM 6-9pm $35pp: San Francisco Wine School invites you for welcome bubbles and an interactive viewing of ‘SOMM’ – the movie inspiring the next generation of wine professionals. ‘SOMM’ follows four sommeliers as they attempt to pass the prestigious Master Sommelier exam, a test with one of the lowest pass rates in the world. Guests will be treated to an interactive experience as they watch together and engage in special tastings, with props and narration by San Francisco Wine School Founder and Master Sommelier, David Glancy. Film stars D’Lynn Proctor, Reggie Narito, and other special guests will lead a lively Q&A.
- Saturday, Nov 7th – OpenHouse and Grand Tasting 1-5pm: Come enjoy all this versatile new center has to offer as you enjoy a walk-around tasting of curriculum wines from around the world. Meet students, instructors and staff as you explore and taste San Francisco Wine School’s thoughtful and innovative programs and walk from wines of the French Wine Scholar across the border to wines of the Italian Wine Professional and halfway across the world to wines of the California Wine Appellation Specialist and more. Small bites will be served to complement the wine tasting.
- Sunday, Nov 8th – Tuesday, Nov 10th – All Workshops Half Price! (Use code GrandCelebration at checkout)
- Sun | Nov 8 | 1-5pm Beer & Sake
- Mon | Nov 9 | 6-9pm Wines of Germany & Eastern Europe
- Mon | Nov 9 | 6-9pm Red Wines of Southern Italy
- Tues | Nov 10 | 6-9pm Bordeaux
- Tues | Nov 10 | 6-9pm Lake County & the Sierra
- Wednesday, Nov 11th – Free Industry Talk 2-4pm, ’How to Build a Successful Wine Program’: Building a successful wine program requires careful budgeting, cost control, product selection, marketing, staff training and execution of all of the above. Learn from the experts in this free 2-hour industry talk hosted by David Glancy, MS, CWE with panelists Haley Guild Moore of the Stock and Bones Group, Rob Renteria of La Folie, Petra Polakovicova of Epic Steak and others.
- Thursday, Nov 12th – Free Industry Talk 2-4pm, ’Clarifying Credential Blur’: Do professional credentials really matter? Which credentialing bodies are relevant in the industry? Which credentials are right for you and your staff? Learn from the experts in this 2-hour free industry talk hosted by David Glancy, MS, CWE and special guests.
About the Wine Education Center
San Francisco Wine School’s sunlight-filled wine education center boasts 16-ft high coved ceilings, eight 12-ft tall windows, and gorgeous 180 degree views of the San Bruno Mountains, South San Francisco City Hall and the San Francisco Bay. Two sets of movable acoustic walls allow varied configurations from three large classrooms to one grand event space. Modular furniture enables table seating for over 100 and walk-around events for up to 150. Finishing touches include a state of the art AV system with multiple 80″ mobile monitors and a 2,000 bottle wine cellar to house the 400 selections used in curriculum. Sponsors include Riedel, Meiko, and Enoteca La Storia.
About San Francisco Wine School
San Francisco Wine School strives to open up the world of wine to serious students and enthusiasts everywhere while helping people of all levels break into the wine industry, advance their career, or simply pursue their passions. Founded by Master Sommelier and Certified Wine Educator David Glancy, San Francisco Wine School is the largest wine school in the U.S., offering the most thoughtful approach to wine study.
David has evaluated all the wine certifications and programs in the industry and chosen those created by only the most trusted, well-respected sources. He also created proprietary programs to prepare students for self-study exams, helping them pass with confidence and enrich their educational process. Curriculum is taught by industry-leading instructors and features the best content in the business: expert lectures, professional study materials, carefully conceived wine flights, and in-depth blind tasting exercises designed to engage students, illuminate course content and enhance learning. Learn more about our vision.
For more information, visit San Francisco Wine School at http://www.sfwineschool.com.