Best of the Best 2016: Journeys | Resorts: Vatuvara Private Islands
Leave it to Oakley founder James Jannard to take the private-island experience to new extremes. Vatuvara Private Islands—the U.S. entrepreneur’s new retreat spread across four secluded islands in northern Fiji—offers just three over-the-top villas, ensuring an exclusive holiday of deserted beaches and personalized service. In the spirit of Jannard’s notoriously wild ways, the resort also promises plenty of thrills via Jet Skis and speedboats.
- Each of the three one-bedroom villas includes sprawling outdoor spaces and a private swimming pool.
- The 6,500-square-foot estate Delana is Vatuvara’s largest accommodation, featuring a private spa and a library.
- Outdoor enthusiasts can fish for tuna and wahoo, dive and snorkel, hike through isolated jungles, and golf at the resort’s four-hole course.
- Two restaurants serve Pacific Rim cuisine with fresh fruit and vegetables from the resort’s organic garden and wine from its glass-enclosed cellar.
- Villas can be rented separately or together as an exclusive buyout. A buyout is required for parties with children under 16.
Vatuvara Private Islands, vatuvara.com ($4,360–$6,125; buyouts from $15,000)