Hilton Head Island, S.C. – The 14th annual Hilton Head Island Motoring Festival & Concours d’Elegance, one of the nation’s largest and fastest-growing automotive and motorsports enthusiast event weeks, is a multi-day, multi-event gathering that showcases hundreds of wheeled, winged and hulled vehicles and honors top names in the automotive industry. For automotive, aviation, motorsports and marine enthusiasts, it’s the perfect opportunity to celebrate their passion in one of America’s most scenic locations.
Highlights of each of the Motoring Festival’s events include:
Savannah Speed Classic (Friday, Oct. 23 – Sunday, Oct. 25 at The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa):
- #10 Indy car driven by Tony Kanaan from Ganassi Racing co-sponsored by Bryant
- 1911 EMF “30” racecar: Recently acquired by Savannah, Georgia, resident Dale Critz, Jr., this car competed in the series of Great Savannah Races and took home silver in the Tiedman Trophy of 1911.
Aero Expo (Saturday, Oct. 31 at the Hilton Head Island Airport General Aviation)
- 1928 Ford Motor Company Tri-Motor 5-AT-B (EAA, Inc., Oshkosh, Wisconsin): First flown on Dec. 1, 1928, this airplane was used for tours of the Grand Canyon from February to December of 1937.
- 1938 Lockheed 12 A Electra (David Marco, Jacksonville, Florida): This airplane is one of only 125 built, as Lockheed stopped production to build aircraft for World War II.
With its aviation roots, this event will celebrate the company’s many anniversaries – 20 years of manufacturing in South Carolina, 40 years in North America and 100 years of BMW worldwide – with one significant vehicle from each decade. The exhibit will include a 1937 BMW 328 (Dirk and Alexandra De Groen, Coral Gables, Florida), the second oldest BMW 328 in existence, and a 1968 BMW 1600 Cabriolet (Philip and Suzanne Capossela, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina).
Car Club Showcase (Saturday, Oct. 31 at the Port Royal Golf Club)
- Modified British Cars of the South: Unlike most British-made cars, these hold a secret under their hoods. With Jaguars, MGs, Triumphs and a 1971 Rolls-Royce Spitfire Powered Super Speedster (Frank and Gayle Mitchell), this club offers a new twist to Hilton Head Island attendees.
- Qvale Mangusta Club: A newly formed national organization, members will show collectively for the first time at the 2015 Car Club Showcase.
- 2014 Bentley GT (Kent Hussey, Atlanta, Georgia)
- Perhaps the most eye-catching car on the show field with its rare “Dragon Red” color, this car is powered by the new twin turbo V8, boasting 500HP and accelerating from 0-60 in 4.6 seconds.
Auctions America’s Hilton Head Island Auction (Saturday, Oct. 31 at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa):
- 1967 Ferrari 330 GTC: A well-sorted example of one of the marque’s classic 12-cylinder touring cars, this Ferrari is offered from four decades of careful and well-documented California ownership. Presented in classic Rosso over a black leather interior, it is accompanied by its tool roll, spare, jack and original operating handbook, as well as a comprehensive history file showing invoices and receipts dating back to 1976 (Est. $650,000 – $725,000).
- 1953 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster: This multi-award winning Corvette is one of the finest examples of its kind. Offered from a prominent Montana Collection, this iconic Corvette returns to Hilton Head Island after winning Best in Class at the 2009 Concours d’Elegance (Est. $225,000 – $275,000).
Motoring Midway (Saturday, Oct. 31 – Sunday, Nov. 1 at the Port Royal Golf Club):
- 1939 Rolls-Royce Phantom III Coupe by James Young (Fred Guyton, St. Louis, Missouri): One of three cars on exhibit by the 2015 Pinnacle Collector, this Rolls-Royce has received awards at the 1938 London Motor Show and the 2014 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.
- 1959 Pontiac El Catalina (William “Tom” Gerrard, Big Sky, Montana): One of five cars shown by this year’s Honored Collector, this one-of-a-kind prototype was produced by Pontiac as a possible competitor for the Chevrolet El Camino for the 1960 model year. Although parts for three cars were manufactured, only one was ever completed.
- GM North American Heritage Collection: A 1945 GMC Sinclair Tanker and 1951 GMC Canopy Express from Sterling Heights, Michigan will be on display as part of the Life in the Suburbs sponsored by GMC.
- Celebrating The Cannonball: In honor of this grueling cross-country race, the Festival will showcase motorcycles that have competed in the Cannonball, including a 1928 BMW R62 (John Landstrom, Norcross, Georgia), that completed with a perfect score, and a 1929 Indian 101 Scout (Doug Jones, Dalton, Georgia) that competed from Daytona to Tacoma in 2014 with a perfect score and 9th overall.
Concours d’Elegance (Sunday, Nov. 1 at the Port Royal Golf Club):
- 1926 Lincoln L Type 130 Boattail Speedster (Robert & Alice Jepson, Savannah, Georgia): Originally owned by Henry Harper, founder and president of the National Lincoln Club, it is believed to be the only restored model of its kind in existence today.
- 1932 Duesenberg J (Mark Hyman, St. Louis, Missouri): Originally delivered Sept. 7, 1932 to DuMont Network financier Mortimer Warren Loewi of Long Island, this is one of two built by Judkins to this striking Gordon Buehrig design.
- 1937 Chrysler Imperial C-15 Town Car (Howard and Rosalind Kroplick, East Hills, New York):
- Built for Walter P Chrysler as a gift for his wife Della in 1937, it is a one-of-a-kind, custom built, seven passenger limousine by Le Baron Coachworks.
- 1939 Mercedes-Benz 540K Special Roadster (Richard Workman, Windermere, Florida):
- The last of 25 Spezial Roadsters built in Mercedes Benz custom coach builder Sindelfingen facility between 1935 – 1939, this car was delivered to Rolf Horn in Berlin August, 1939 and placed in their garage to protect it from the eminent outbreak of WWII.
The Festival’s automotive and aircraft sponsors are also showcasing new vehicles including the BMW 650ic, BMW X3, Porsche 918 Spyder, Volvo XC90, Piper’s Meridian M500, Pilatus’ PC-12 NG and Cirrus Aircraft’s Vision SF50.
“The 2015 Motoring Festival will celebrate the vehicle in its many forms across multiple events with varying themes,” said Carolyn Vanagel, president of the Hilton Head Island Motoring Festival and Concours d’Elegance. “We’re excited about the quality and creativity behind this year’s lineup.”
Top names from the automotive industry will also be participating at this year’s Festival. Manfred Erlacher (President & CEO, BMW Manufacturing), Ralph Gilles (Head of Design, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V.), Lex Kerssemakers (President, Volvo of North America), Norma Saken (, The Iacocca Family Foundation) and Jay Ward (Cars Legacy Guardian, Pixar Animation Studios) will all be participating as guest judges and headlining at the Platinum Dinner on Saturday, Oct. 31 at the exclusive Long Cove Club with Dutch Mandel (Publisher, Autoweek) serving as the event’s emcee. Tickets to the Platinum Dinner are $375 and can be purchased by calling the Motoring Festival office (843-785-7469 ext. 4)
Skip Barber, one of the leading personalities and most successful entrepreneurs in American road racing, will serve as Grand Marshal at the 2015 Savannah Speed Classic presented by Mingledorff’s, Oct. 23 – 25, 2015.
Tickets for the 2015 Motoring Festival are now on sale at www.HHIMotoringFestival.com/Tickets.
For more information, visit the official Hilton Head Island Motoring Festival & Concours d’Elegance website at www.HHIMotoringFestival.com.
About the Hilton Head Island Motoring Festival & Concours D’Elegance:
The Hilton Head Island Motoring Festival & Concours d’Elegance will celebrate its 14th year in the fall of 2015. The Festival kicks off with the Savannah Speed Classic, Oct. 23 – 25, on the Grand Prize of America road course situated on the property of The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa in Savannah, Georgia. The festivities will continue on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, Oct. 31 – Nov. 1, at the Port Royal Golf Club where the Concours d’Elegance (Nov. 1) will take center stage. New to this year’s Motoring Festival is the Hilton Head Island Auction by Auctions America (Oct. 31), the Flights & Fancy Aeroport Gala (Oct. 30) and the Aero Expo (Oct. 31) featuring an array of vintage and new aircraft. Motoring Festival Partners for the 2015 Festival include the Port Royal Golf Club, The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa, The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, BMW Group, Porsche of Hilton Head, Volvo, Lexus, GMC, Mingledorff ’s, Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport, Hargray, the Hilton Head Island/Bluffton Chamber of Commerce and Visit Savannah. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit www.HHIMotoringFestival.com online.
EMAIL CONTACT: email@example.com