1956 Maserati A6G/54 Berlinetta
Before withdrawing from world championship racing in 1957, Maserati moved to the forefront of motorsport competition—alongside rival Ferrari—with the A6G/54 (also known as the A6G 2000 GT), a series of 60 beautiful coupes and convertibles produced from 1954 to 1957. Beginning in 1956, they were powered by Maserati’s signature 2-liter, dohc straight-six engine with twin-plug ignition.
The car shown here was bodied by Allemano and built for Switzerland’s Baron Emmanuel “Toulo” de Graffenried, a driver for Maserati’s Grand Prix factory team. The baron specified French-language gauges and also ordered front disc brakes, likely making this the first Maserati so equipped. Producing 160 bhp, the svelte berlinetta was sophisticated for its time and remains a quintessential GT of that era.