Lalique Daydreams in Ocean Blue

Lalique, the century-old crystal house known for its ornate glass tabletop pieces, is feeling blue this spring. The DayDream Collection is the company’s most technical feat yet, featuring crystal vases and sculptures in an exceptionally clear ocean-blue color made from an oxide mix that is often too foamy to have any clarity. In fact, the mix works only 20 percent of the time to achieve this clear coloration; the other 80 percent is not usable. The collection has a mythological theme, with hand-blown glass butterflies, fairies, and dragonflies perched atop vases and sculptures that take from three to six weeks to create. The goddess Aurora is featured in a limited-edition vase and in two bowls, representing the goddess of the dawn with fairy-like women, fauna, and flora. Also especially unique are the small dragonfly figurines, based on a series of glass automobile-hood ornaments from the 1920s and early 1930s designed by René Lalique, the company’s founder. The DayDream Collection, with prices ranging from $490 to $18,500 (for the Aurora Vase), is available now at Lalique boutiques and Bloomingdale’s. (www.lalique.com)

More Home Design