The menswear item of the moment is the sweater jacket, says Eric Jennings, a vice president and the fashion director for Saks Fifth Avenue. The new style, which quickly became a top seller at Saks for fall, is a versatile topper that offers a softly structured jacket with the comfort and warmth of a sweater.
“This type of ‘transformer wear’ is perfect for travel,” says Jennings. “It’s comfortable, stylish, and functional; plus it’s like wearing a hug,” he jokes. “That is something men can really get on board with.”
Here are some of Jennings’s top picks for the season, available in Saks stores and online. (877.551.7257, www.saksfifthavenue.com).
- (Photo 1) The burgundy heavyweight hand-knit wool sweater by the Italian knitwear company Bark features retro-style wooden toggles and leather loophole closures ($695).
- (Photo 2) Brunello Cucinelli’s version in navy wool and cashmere features smaller toggles and a slimmer fit ($2,265).
- (Photo 3) The buckles and leather placket on Ralph Lauren’s green sweater coat in wool and cashmere make for a sportier, more structured example ($995).
- (Photo 4) Saks’s private label creates the jacket in 100-percent cashmere with a cozy shawl collar ($798).
- (Photo 5) Armani’s Black Label offers an arty version as a cashmere zip-up with a painterly design ($3,345).
- (Photo 6) The sweater coat in a blend of wool, acrylic, and alpaca by Hugo Boss has a sleek lapel collar and oversize pockets, presenting a sophisticated image ($345).
- (Photos 7 and 8) Loro Piana’s cashmere sweater coat trimmed with fox fur is the ultimate in luxurious comfort ($4,995).
- (Photos 9 and 10) The multicolored lamb’s-wool-and-cashmere version from Ralph Lauren works for a more casual, country feel ($1,200).
- (Photo 11) Michael Kors opts for a sleek, slim-fitting zip-up in a blend of wool, cashmere, and cotton with rabbit-fur lining. ($895).