Luxury Africa experts Extraordinary Journeys is proud to announce an exclusive new 8-night Art of Travel: South Africa itinerary, coinciding with the 5th Annual Cape Town Art Fair (February 17-19, 2017). Held at the Cape Town International Convention Center, the fair will present the best of both contemporary Pan-African and international art, along with curated programs featuring art talks and curated walks by contemporary art world professionals.
This itinerary divides time between a four night stay* in Cape Town’s breathtaking Ellerman House, home to one of the most important private collections of modern South African art and four nights at Delaire Graff Estate in the Cape Winelands, surrounded by superb art galleries including the Stellenbosch Modern and Contemporary (SMAC) Gallery and award-winning winelands. Guests may also choose to extend their stay by adding on a Big Five Safari in Singita or Kwandwe, at an additional cost.
Travelers will have the unique opportunity to experience the Cape Town art scene in the company of Talita Swarts, a South Africa native who studied art history extensively at the University of Pretoria, graduating with a BA in Fine Arts and MA in Visual Arts, where she worked with multi-media sculpture and installation art. Talita has expert knowledge of the Ellerman House’s private art collection, featuring almost 1000 works from mid-18th century Thomas Bowler’s Cape Town landscapes to the oeuvre of New Group artists Pierneef, Maggie Laubser and Irma Stern. Her expertise also extends to some of the best local galleries in Cape Town including Everard Read, Whatiftheworld and Brundyn+ and she can even arrange visits to artists’ studios.
“From major South African artists William Kentridge and Dan Halter, to Ghana’s El Anatsui, to Ethiopian artist Elias Sime, the world is paying attention to contemporary African art” says Elizabeth Gordon, CEO and Co-Founder of Extraordinary Journeys. “There will be an even greater focus on Cape Town in 2017, with the autumn opening of the 100,000 square foot Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (Zeitz MOCAA) and, right above it, the impressive new hotel, The Silo (scheduled to open March 2017).”
Pricing for this itinerary is $8,600 per person, based on double occupancy. Package includes superior accommodations throughout, meals as indicated, all applicable hotel and lodge taxes, transfers and sightseeing and excursions as specified in the itinerary. International airfare, airport taxes, passport and visa fees, personal and baggage insurance, and items of a personal nature are not included in pricing.
- Experience the best the contemporary art world has to offer at The Cape Town Art Fair, alongside world-renowned artists, curators and collectors;
- Spend four nights at Ellerman House, a Cape Edwardian-style luxury hotel set on the slopes of Lion’s Head in the prestigious Bantry Bay residential area of Cape Town and four nights at Delaire Graff Estate, on the magnificent Helshoogte Mountain Pass, between the award-winning wine regions of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek;
- Stroll through the Ellerman Contemporary Gallery, housing one of, if not THE single most important private collection of South African art, as well as the superb Stellenbosch Modern and Contemporary (SMAC) Gallery and the Rupert Museum;
- Embark on a morning city tour of Cape Town and Table Mountain, followed by an afternoon at Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 27 years;
- Enjoy a full day personalized tour of the Cape Peninsula, including the famous lighthouse at Cape Point and a visit to the African Penguin breeding colony at Boulders Beach;
- Experience a full day tour of the Winelands region (Stellenbosch, Paarl, Franschhoek), renowned for their world-class reds and whites, with the opportunity to sip, swirl and taste at three wine estates based on your personal preference.
* To coincide with the 5th Annual Cape Town Art Fair, guests should arrive at Ellerman House on Feb. 16 and depart Delaire Graff Estate on Feb. 24, 2017. Clients are of course welcome to extend their stay or choose alternative travel dates and the Extraordinary Journeys team would be happy to discuss customized versions of this program.
About Extraordinary Journeys:
Run by a mother-daughter team with over half a century of combined safari knowledge, Extraordinary Journeys specializes in creating unique, custom safari experiences to East and Southern Africa as well as select countries Out of Africa for couples, families and individual travelers. They mix and match safari camps, lodges, and private villas that create a sense of place, utilizing outstanding specialist guides and travel by private plane, 4×4, hot air balloon, horse, and camel. The Extraordinary Journeys team has planned over 2,000 safaris and journeys and not one has been the same, but all bear the hallmarks of first-hand knowledge, personalized service, and social responsibility. Founder Elizabeth Gordon has been named to Travel + Leisure’s A-List of top travel agents, and her mother and co-founder, Marcia Gordon, was named one of the “Guides to the Super Guides” in Departures Magazine. Extraordinary Journeys has twice been awarded National Geographic Travelers Trip of a Lifetime (2012, 2014). Most recently, Extraordinary Journeys was chosen by Travel + Leisure readers as one of the World’s Best Safari Outfitters (2016).