For those in the know, Kenya’s annual Maralal Camel Derby is Africa’s most renowned camel race, an entertaining festival that attracts both international and local, professional and amateur competitors and brings the desert town of Maralal to life. In celebration of this year’s races (August 31st – September 3, 2017), luxury Africa experts Extraordinary Journeys is introducing the special departure Kenya by Camel: The Maralal Derby itinerary (August 25 – September 2, 2017), centering on a visit to the derby to watch the camels compete! Additionally, guests will have a chance to see the camels at closer range with a stay at Ol Malo Nomad, a lightweight mobile camp that specializes in camel walking safaris and learning about the ecosystem from local Samburu guides.
Pricing for this 9-day itinerary begins at $8,000 per person, double, and includes economy flights within Kenya, superior accommodations, all meals, drinks and laundry while on safari, wildlife viewing by 4×4 open roof vehicle, naturalist guides, all applicable hotel & lodge taxes, park entrance fees, transfers and game-viewing activities as specified in the itinerary. International flights, passport and visa fees are not included.
- Excursion to Kenya’s Maralal Camel Derby, Africa’s most renowned camel race;
- 1 night at The Emakoko, an elegant lodge in the heart of Nairobi National Park;
- 2 nights at Ekorian’s Mugie Camp, a private camp with an exclusive location on the Mugie Sanctuary in North Laikipia, with prolific game viewing, kayaking, golfing and cultural experiences on offer;
- 2 nights at Ol Malo Nomad a lightweight mobile camp that offers walking safaris with horses and camels;
- 3 nights at Mara Expedition Camp, a predator-rich area located on the banks of the Ntiakitiak River within the Masai Mara Game Reserve, with ample game-viewing opportunities, particularly of leopard, wildebeest and zebra.
For more information, please visit: https://www.extraordinaryjourneys.com/itineraries/kenya-by-camel-maralal-derby-masai-mara/
About Extraordinary Journeys
Run by a mother-daughter team with over half a century of combined safari knowledge, Extraordinary Journeys specializes in creating unique, custom safari experiences to East and Southern Africa as well as select countries Out of Africa for couples, families and individual travelers. They mix and match safari camps, lodges, and private villas that create a sense of place, utilizing outstanding specialist guides and travel by private plane, 4×4, hot air balloon, horse, and camel.
The Extraordinary Journeys team has planned over 2,000 safaris and journeys and not one has been the same, but all bear the hallmarks of first-hand knowledge, personalized service, and social responsibility. Founder Elizabeth Gordon has been named to Travel + Leisure’s A-List of top travel agents, and her mother and co-founder, Marcia Gordon, was named one of the “Guides to the Super Guides” in Departures Magazine. Extraordinary Journeys has twice been awarded National Geographic Travelers Trip of a Lifetime (2012, 2014). Most recently, Extraordinary Journeys was chosen by Travel + Leisure readers as one of the World’s Best Safari Outfitters (2016).