The Caribbean in the summer is definitely hot. And I am not talking about the heat index, because that actually isn’t too bad. Ironically, the islands are often cooler than some southern U.S. cities, as the ocean helps to moderate temperatures and allows the Caribbean to avoid severe heat. Average temperatures are around the mid-eighties. Trust me, when you are looking out at the turquoise waters with a soft ocean breeze at your face, you won’t be focusing on the heat index. Instead, you will be thrilled that you are vacationing in paradise.
Here are some of the things I love about visiting the Caribbean in the summer: It’s not as crowded as the peak winter months, so you can do the things you want to do without all the hassle. You don’t have to wait in line at restaurants, and hotels are not overcrowded to the point that you have to get up at 6 am to secure your lounge chair by the pool. Additionally, it’s a wonderful way to relax and meet the locals (they are in summer mode too), and you often can’t beat the price. Most hotels run promotional rates to entice families, couples, and honeymooners alike.
Here are some Caribbean hot spots running great promotions you should certainly consider:
Location: Saint Barthélemy, French West Indies
Resort: Le Guanahani
- St. Bart’s is often referred to as “the St. Tropez of the Caribbean”—it is a must-visit island!
- July Family Package: Families will enjoy daily buffet breakfast, one lunch or dinner, a family picnic, a rental car, and round-trip airport transfers.
Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Grace Bay Club
- The first all-suite luxury resort in Turks and Caicos.
- Stay 7, Pay 5 Promotion: Pay for five nights but stay for seven! This promotion runs through December 2016.
- Stay at the Residences, some of the most exclusive freestanding private beachfront villas in Turks and Caicos, situated in a gated enclave. Each residence features five bedrooms, 5.5 baths, and a total indoor/outdoor living space of approximately 6,400 square feet.
- Probably one of the sexiest resorts in the Caribbean, with a glimpse of Asian service and beauty mixed in.
- Season of Discovery Promotion: Pay for four nights and receive a fifth night free. All meals are included, as well as a movie night in Amanyara’s private screening room, a private guided snorkel trip, and an eco-hike with a naturalist.
Rosewood Tucker’s Point
- The Beach Club at Rosewood Tucker’s Point includes Bermuda’s largest private beach and an abundance of fresh-water swimming pools.
- Summer Sundays Promotion: Guests can take advantage of competitive select rates when arriving in June or July, on a Sunday or Monday, and departing the following Thursday.
- Golf Around Getaway Package: Receive a three-, four-, or five-night accommodation, daily breakfast, one round of golf each day at a variety of courses, a golf cart, and 50-percent off golf-club rentals
Baie Longue, St. Martin
Belmond La Samanna
- Set amidst 55 acres of tropical gardens, curled next to a pristine beach, Belmond La Samanna is a paradise for the active and nonactive vacationer.
- Island Discovery Package: Round-trip airport transfers, access to all the resort facilities at Belmond La Samanna, and a mid-size rental car for four days.
- Stay 4, Pay 3 Promotion: Pay for three nights but stay for four! Available in all room categories.
I don’t know about you … but sign me up!
Travel expert Kimberly Wilson Wetty is Co-President of Valerie Wilson Travel. Just three years after joining the company, she took on the management of all leisure business and is now responsible for maintaining Valerie Wilson Travel’s membership in Virtuoso. Honored many times by the travel industry, Kimberly has consecutively been named a Family Travel Specialist on the Travel+Leisure “A-List” since 2009. In 2015, Kimberly won the Most Innovative Advisor award from Virtuoso.